VISITORS GUIDE TO VANCOUVER
Vancouver’s unique blend of city and rainforest makes it one of the best travel destinations in the world. Surrounded by the Coastal Mountains and the Pacific Ocean, the city centre offers a bustling cosmopolitan lifestyle with pristine wilderness right on your doorstep. This breathtaking landscape has been home to the Coast Salish Peoples for several millennia and offers an interesting history to explore.
Millions of visitors a year enjoy Vancouver’s sunny beaches, buzzing summer street festivals, lively sports stadiums & outdoor activities. In winter, you can ride the 3 local ski hills until 10PM while watching the sunset over the city. That gets a thumbs up from us!
Vancouver has been made famous recently for hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics with the sister city of Whistler. It has also been the film set for many major Hollywood productions including the Twilight Series, The X-Files, Smallville, Happy Gilmore, Juno, X-Men, Rocky IV and 50 Shades of Grey (to name just a few).
An exciting nightlife is centered around Granville St, the main hostel area. The street is shut down to traffic every Friday & Saturday night as bars & nightclubs spill onto the street. Every weekend in the summer, Granville Street hosts festivals of every description, with food, music, and fun from all around the world. Vancouver’s fantastic food scene has got everything from fine-dining to food trucks & great fresh produce markets like Granville Island.
Highlights for visiting Vancouver
- cycle along the scenic Stanley Park seawall (No. 1 must do activity)
- explore the rich indigenous history of the Coast Salish peoples at the Museum of Anthropology
- hike at Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge & the North Shore Mountains
- explore Vancouver’s historic Gastown & Chinatown
- enjoy a picnic & sunset at English Bay
- eat & drink your way through hip neighborhoods like Main St, Commercial Drive & the West End
- get involved in one of Vancouver’s many summer street festivals
- catch a Vancouver Canucks hockey game at Rogers Arena (Nov – May)